InfectiveINk.com is interested in great fiction. Unless specified, we are open to all genres and styles, except erotica.
We offer $10 per Short Story (submissions between 1500 and 5000 words), payable via PayPal. We do not currently pay for Flash Fiction (submissions under 1500 words), bragging rights however, are priceless, and we encourage you to exercise yours.
- Modern spins on common fairy tales
- Our audience is primarily North American, so ‘common’ in this case are fairy tales that any random person in North America would know (ex. Cinderella, Snow White, Hansel & Gretel etc), this isn’t the place to rewrite The Giants and the Herd Boy or Asmund and Signy.
- Stories that include the fantasy elements of the fairy tales are strongly preferred
Submissions for this prompt are now closed; if you haven’t received your reply, don’t worry, it’s on the way.
To be published July 2015:
- Memory loss
- The memory loss can be caused by anything – drugs, age, disease, alien abduction, willful ignorance – be creative!
- The memory loss should be important to the story, but does not have to be central
You should submit your story by June 27th 2015
To be published August 2015:
- Life changing embarrassment and ruinous humiliation
- The story doesn’t have to include the event, but the embarrassing incident must have a large impact on the story
You should submit your story by July 28th 2015
To be published September 2015:
- The substitute teacher
- Any grade level, any type of education welcome.
You should submit your story by August 28th 2015
To be published October 2015:
- Horror please!
You should submit your story by September 27th 2015
To be published November 2015:
- First time eating something ‘extreme’
- Fried grasshoppers! Jagermeister! The neighbours dog! The first time is always tricky
You should submit your story by October 28th 2015
To be published December 2015:
- As inspired by Dickens, A Christmas Carol
- Not all three ‘spirits’ need be included, but at least one should be part of the story
You should submit your story by November 27th 2015
To be published January 2016:
- Flu season
- Being sick sucks, and being the healthy one in a household of sickies is even worse, though being a paranoid germaphobe in flu season is unbearable
- No real guidelines here, just get creative
You should submit your story by December 28th 2015
To be published February 2016:
- The best break-up ever
- Humor, horror, or utter psycho extremes please!
You should submit your story by January 28th 2016
To be published March 2016:
- Mistaken identity
- The instance and consequences of the mistaken identity should be central to the story
You should submit your story by February 25th 2016
To be published April 2016:
- As inspired by, the Gift of the Magi
- Stories featuring romantic partners are welcome, but stories with other duos are preferred
You should submit your story by March 28th 2016
To be published May 2016:
- Dear Diary
- Diary entries should factor heavily in your story, but if your piece is all diary entries, please be sure that those entries tell a coherent story
You should submit your story by April 27th 2016
Micro-Flash Prompts, 1 sentence minimum, no maximum word length!
Visit us on Twitter @INfectiveINk for our mini prompts. Reply to the prompt tweet with your Twitter length story, or tweet a teaser and a link to the full piece! All replies will be retweeted.
- All perspectives are welcome unless the prompt specifies which one we’re looking for e.g. Second person perspective preferred.
- Unless specified, we are also open to all tenses, character gender, etc. You’re encouraged to explore.
- Unless specified all genres are welcome except erotica. A haunted house doesn’t have to be a horror story, in fact a haunted house could simply refer to a memory or a family that has endured a tragedy. Zombie tales can be hilarious, and the word ‘zombie’ could refer to any number of things. Mysteries can find their way into any situation. Be creative, push your boundaries, have fun, write great stories.
- We are pretty flexible with regard to story length, but please make an attempt toward reason.
Questions? Need some help/guidance? Email us at Ask@InfectiveINk.com
2 readers love this story!